Monday, June 20

A little behind...

A whole week went by and no one told me?! ...
Here are a couple of photos from last week:


I had the idea of strawberry upside down cake in my head for a while before I finally made one. Different recipes for strawberry upside down cake started popping up on various food blogs over last few weeks, so I finally took the hint and made one with those farmer's market berries. The cake was also made with whole wheat flour and a little pineapple juice - a lovely combination of ingredients if I do say so myself.


Pasta with sauteed spring onions and green beans, topped with shaved parmesan. Our cheese grater broke a while ago and we have yet to find a decent replacement. In the meantime, we're just using a peeler to 'shave' cheese onto things.

Shawn didn't get to have any of this pasta... our schedule is conflicting 70% of the time (I've been working mostly morning shifts and he works in the afternoon/evening; we try to have at least one day off each week that we can spend together.) So I've been coming home to an empty apartment with an empty belly and conjuring up my own assorted mid-day meals the last few weeks. This one was most notable in terms of flavor - those spring onions really made the dish!


I also keep myself amused by baking things things I know will put a smile on Shawn's face when he gets home. That mostly means chocolate chip cookies; he's a sucker for those. I took it a little further though and baked a pie. A chocolate chip cookie dough pie. Intense? Yes. Delicious? Oh my, yes! Smile-worthy? Yes! A million times yes!


I leave myself lots of little notes, otherwise I forget things. (Who am I kidding? Even with all the notes I still manage to do an excellent job of forgetting things.) Sometimes, Shawn leaves me notes too. Most of the time, they're really silly.


You know what's not silly though? This pasta dish. (Yeah, we love our pasta over here, kay?) Not only does it have olive oil, parsley, basil, and parmesan cheese... it's also tossed with some vegetables I picked up at the farmer's market last week - lightly sauteed zucchini, chopped tomatoes, and some sweet corn. The best part is, I made enough for leftovers! Everything is better when you can enjoy it more than once.

On that note... you should go back to the top of the page and re-read this post if you want to get your fill. Since, it's the end of it and all. Sorry, no leftovers for you!

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, that last pasta dish looks like one I make! I use a bit of red wine vinegar instead of olive oil, though, and it makes it DIVINE. Also I use different veggies...so maybe it's a bit more different, but they have similar looks and are equally as delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elyse - sounds yummy! I've never thought to use red wine vinegar; maybe next time! I love the simplicity of it all.

    ReplyDelete